Canadian passports are ePassports, which are issued to immigrants of Canada. An e-Passport, like the Canadian passport, is a 36-page book with a data chip in it. It contains brief information about the individual that may be utilized to identify them.
You must submit your passport to be allowed into a country, scanned to verify your identification.
If you’re a Canadian citizen, you’ll need a valid Canadian passport to travel. The passport is proof of identity when travelling internationally.
If your passport isn’t valid or you can’t provide it before getting on a plane, boat or train, you may not be permitted to board the vehicle and might forfeit the journey price.
To enter Canada, you’ll need a valid passport or Canada Certificate that proves your Canadian citizenship.
With a valid Canadian passport, you may travel to over 114 different nations without a visa.
List of countries you can enter with a Canadian passport
- United States of America
- United Kingdom
- Ireland, Republic of (Southern part)
- France (including its overseas regions and territories)
- New Zealand
- Korea, South (Republic of Korea)
And so on. Would you please look at our comprehensive list of countries that welcome Canadian visitors without requiring prior visas?
Benefits Of Having A Canadian Passport
Some benefits of having a Canada Passport are:
- Allowed to enter Canada without a visa
- No need for an expensive and time-consuming applicant process
- Dual citizenship can be used in both US/Canadian passports.
- Allows people the freedom to visit the country without any hassle.
- Save time and money by having a passport with long term validity
- Simplify the process of applying for a Canada visa by only needing one every 5, 10 or 20 years
- Get more freedom to do whatever you want without worrying about frequent visas
- Accelerate your travel plans with a long term Canadian Passport
What Is Required For a Canadian Passport Application?
The requirements for applying for a Canadian passport are:
- Proof of Canadian citizenship (birth certificate, naturalization certificate, nationality card)
- ID with photo (driver’s license or health card)
- Two identical passport photograph
- You must have a valid and current Canadian travel document that was issued in your name.
- You must provide a completed Certificate of Good Conduct from your employer.
- In certain cases, additional paperwork may be necessary (such as a language test result) in its original documents. A proper translation will accompany those not written in English or French.
How To Obtain A Canadian passport
You must be at least 16 years old and a Canadian citizen to apply for a Canadian passport. Parents or guardians may apply for their young children if they are under the age of 18. Here are the steps to take when applying for a Canadian passport:
- Download or get the Application form from IRCC official website or the Passport office directly.
- Fill in all of the blanks on the application form correctly. Then sign each page of the application form.
- Attach all required paperwork, including the fill-in form and any duplicate passport photos.
- To establish proof of identification, get a guarantor and two references with firsthand knowledge of your identity.
- Your guarantor can be:
- Anyone who has known you for at least two years;
- Must be a Canadian citizen above 18 years;
- Have a valid Canadian passport, or at the very least one that has not expired for over a year.
- Please fill out an application, submit payment for any fees, and send it to the correct passport office or portal.
- Your new passport should be waiting for you.
How Much Does It Cost To Apply For A Canadian Passport?
As of 2021, a regular five-year Canadian passport will cost $120, with a 10-year passport costing $160. A child’s passport is $57. If you’ve chosen a 10-year Canadian passport, keep in mind that your passport photo will be taken for the next ten years!
There are extra costs when it comes to replacing a lost or stolen passport, as well as for express or emergency processing. Urgent and express services are only available if you submit your application in person at a Canada Passport Office (with certain limitations).
How Long Does It Take To Get A Canada Passport?
The regular Canada passport processing time is:
A Canadian passport book costs $140 and takes 6-8 weeks for the regular service. If you want to visit Canada in less than six weeks, you may apply for fast service, which costs $250. The process of issuing a passport through Canada expedited service takes 3-4 weeks. Canada also offers a Canada express passport service, which takes 1-2 weeks and costs $520.
You can check Canada’s current processing times here: Canada Passport Processing Times.
I am writing this blog to help you get your Canadian passport. You may be wondering, how do I apply for a Canadian passport in Africa? Well, the process is quite easy to ensure that you can complete it successfully. To start applying for your new document, you need an application form obtained from any visa office. The cost varies but typically ranges between $130-$160 depending on where you live and what type of service you want. Once completed with filling out the necessary information, including name, address, contact details etc., sign off at the bottom right-hand corner. Then take it back to the Canada Visa office, where you will be issued with your Canada passport. So that is all that needs to be done to get a Canadian passport from Africa.